A Farmhouse Clock

When I began planning out the decor for my first *adult* apartment I knew that I wanted to incorporate a statement piece above my couch.  I loved the idea of an over-sized clock or a gallery wall, and when this wood fell into my lap I knew the answer.




The boards were part of an old broken table that I disassembled for this project.  I enlisted the help of my sweet Grandpa who immediately deemed my prized wood as "trash wood".  But I love it!
First I laid out the boards on a flat surface playing with the order that I wanted them and placing the shorter boards on the outside where the length wasn't as important.



After deciding on an arrangement and numbering the order I wanted the boards in, I glued all of them together with basic wood glue.  Some of them were slightly different widths so we used a wood planer to make everything line up a little better.

Next my Grandpa came up with the idea to attach the saw to a board anchored on the center of the wood to cut a perfect circle.  It took two passes with the saw but eventually we had a perfectly even circle.



For finishing touches I ordered a clock mechanism and some rustic hands online, which we attached through a small hole in the center of the clock.  Finally, we painted the edge of the clock with a matte black paint to make everything pop and attached a board to the back for stability and a hanging place.



So pleased with the finished product.



Until next time,
Sarah

Comments

Popular Posts