Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Half Moon Table Refresh

Today I am sharing a furniture refresh for a table I use as a landing spot in my entryway.  I picked this table up at a local antique store because it was the perfect length for a spot in my entryway and it is narrow enough that it doesn't obtrude into the walkway too much.  This little table has great bones - especially the scallops and lower shelf.

The finish was a dark mahogany which was a bit too heavy for my space, so I decided to lighten this piece up with some fresh paint.  Since it was such a small surface I used an 8 ounce container of chalk paint that I picked up from my local Home Depot.

I planned to paint the entire piece with a light aqua shade.  As I worked my way up the piece from the base I loved the effect that the paint was giving over the finish.  I began to paint the top of the table and took a second to stand back.

As soon as I stepped back, I realized that I wanted to leave the top with the darker finish as a contrast.  Of course I had already begun painting the top, but was able to quickly wipe away with a damp cloth and some light sanding to remove the paint from the wood grain.

After two coats of chalk paint I began to sand the entire piece to give character.  I hit the high points of the piece with sandpaper along with the "high-traffic" areas, such as around the drawer pulls.

The piece was finished with Anne Sloan's furniture wax.  Here is the final product.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A Farmhouse Clock

When I began planning out the decor for my first *adult* apartment I knew that I wanted to incorporate a statement piece above my couch.  I loved the idea of an over-sized clock or a gallery wall, and when this wood fell into my lap I knew the answer.

The boards were part of an old broken table that I disassembled for this project.  I enlisted the help of my sweet Grandpa who immediately deemed my prized wood as "trash wood".  But I love it!
First I laid out the boards on a flat surface playing with the order that I wanted them and placing the shorter boards on the outside where the length wasn't as important.

After deciding on an arrangement and numbering the order I wanted the boards in, I glued all of them together with basic wood glue.  Some of them were slightly different widths so we used a wood planer to make everything line up a little better.

Next my Grandpa came up with the idea to attach the saw to a board anchored on the center of the wood to cut a perfect circle.  It took two passes with the saw but eventually we had a perfectly even circle.

For finishing touches I ordered a clock mechanism and some rustic hands online, which we attached through a small hole in the center of the clock.  Finally, we painted the edge of the clock with a matte black paint to make everything pop and attached a board to the back for stability and a hanging place.

So pleased with the finished product.

Until next time,